Monday 23 April 2012

EXPERIMENTAL PHOTOGRAPHY : David Hockney Joiners




Here are two joiners I created using photoshop inspired by David Hockney. These photographs were taken from my classroom in college. I'm lucky at college to have such an interesting view from our 9th floor room. Here I took two sets of photographs, one of the whole view from the window and one of the roof of Morrison's outside. I took lots of different photographs with different angles and viewpoints of the buildings. I think that the more I zoom in on sections and angle my camera, the more interesting my joiner is going to look. 

Once I had taken all of my images, I went into photoshop and created the joiner as follows:

In photoshop, select File > Automate > Photomerge and select 'Collage'.
Then, un-tick the 'Blend images together' box.
Use the browse button to find the images you want to make a joiner from, select them all and click 'Open'.
Wait...
All of the images will open as individual layers. This allows you to adjust them individually. You could lighten or darken them to make them look more like the rest of the image. You could remove them if you don't think they are adding an awful lot to your joiner. You can move or rotate them as you wish.
Double click the first layer, this will open the layer properties where you can apply a drop shadow to make the images look more like they're in a pile rather than just a blended image with jagged edges. You can also add a stroke if you wish (this will create a solid line around all 4 edges of each image).
Then copy the layer style (the shadow and stroke) to all of the other images by holding down the ALT key on the keyboard and dragging the letters 'fx' onto the layer underneath. 
Then click Layer > Flatten image.
This will create the white background.



No comments:

Post a Comment